April 17, 2014 Leave a comment
The Wits Justice Project (WJP) is looking for an intern with a journalism background, from June 2014.
Remuneration: Competitive monthly stipend
Education level: Degree
Job level: Intern
Type: 6-month contract with option to renew once
Commence: June 2014
Wits Justice Project:
The Wits Justice Project (WJP) is a project of the Journalism Department of the University of Witwatersrand. It aims to impact significantly on the lives of people by striving for changes in the criminal justice system.
Through the four arms of the project – journalism, advocacy, law and education – WJP strives to bring substantial changes to the law and its practice and the wider criminal justice system as a whole. It uses transparent activism to promote the foundational values enshrined in the South African Constitution and international and Human Rights law.
- A journalism degree from an accredited University
- A keen interest in human rights
- Contactable references and proof of previous work
- Proven ability to carry out journalistic research and investigations,
and to be able to produce from that compelling media products
Social Media and web site management experience
As an intern you will be required to:
- Produce regular social media including blogs, tweets, Facebook posts
- Investigate and research, identify and interview and produce journalist products (including written
news reports, in-depth pieces, radio and tv inserts and photographs)
- Build a relationship with journalists and editors
- Be willing to visit prisons, courts and police stations from time to time
- Be willing to interview inmates
- Evaluate and respond to correspondence from inmates
- Carry out various office administration tasks
- Be willing to assist with a variety of project including organising events and seminars
- Work as a member of a small, hard-working, team which is passionate about human rights
Send a full CV by 30 April 2014 to
Wits Justice Project
PLEASE NOTE ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.